Sunday, March 25, 2012

Tag time part 2

This is the second meme I got tagged with recently, this time by the lovely Lindsey, at Jesse Said Yes.

The rules of this meme are:
1. Go to page 77 of your current MS/WIP
2. Go to line 7
3. Copy down the next 7 lines, sentences, or paragraphs, and post them as they’re written.
4. Tag 7 authors
5. Let them know

As I mentioned in part 1, these memes have done the rounds so much it looks like everyone is abandoning attempts to pass them on. So, as before, if you're a follower, and if you haven't already been tagged, and if you feel like giving it a go, then consider yourself tagged!

Because my current WIP is still lying on the operating table, with bits spread out over a dozen Word files, finding page 77 was a bit of a challenge. So I went back to the most recent version where I have it all packed together neatly into one document in standard formatting.

Here is my excerpt from Ghosts of Innocence, where Shayla faces three opponents and unexpectedly finds them reduced to one ally:

There was a blur of movement and a soft hissing sound. Two heads thumped to the floor followed by two crumpling bodies.

Weasel grinned at Shayla, who had stepped smartly back to avoid the arcs of blood. She glimpsed a cold line of blue fire winking out as Weasel sheathed his knife. A shimmerblade. That was how he'd managed to behead the two of them so effortlessly.

"They were getting too curious for comfort." Weasel spoke for the first time. Shayla was taken aback by his voice, rich and firm, and completely at odds with his raggedy appearance.

10 comments:

Lindsey R. Loucks said...

Very cool excerpt! I'm intrigued!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Super snippet! Thanks for sharing.

Botanist said...

Thanks Lindsey and Susan, and thanks for the tag, Lindsey. This just happened to come in at an interesting moment, and no - I didn't cheat :)

unikorna said...

Your heroine Shayla seems a very brave and passionate character :). Just like her creator :).

Margo Kelly said...

Well done! :)

klahanie said...

Hi Ian,
Humble apologies for my lack of visiting your site just recently.
Well, you managed to find page 77, one way or another. I must say that the part you have submitted is most interesting in a 'bloody' sort of way. I really like the name "Shayla". And "Weasel", why not, I say :)
May you and your loved ones have a peaceful, positive weekend.
Gary

Botanist said...

Hi unikorna. *blushes* I hope you'll find out a bit more about Shayla if you hang around for the A to Z Challenge.

Thank you Margo!

Gary, you are always most welcome. I've also been pressed for time...visiting but not commenting as much recently, so you have nothing to apologise for.

Lydia Kang said...

That was a fine excerpt. If the rest of those "bits and pieces" of your MS are like this one, you've got one great novel on your hands!

Sarah Tokeley said...

Sorry I'm so late commenting, just wanted to say how much this intrigues me :-)

Botanist said...

Kind of you to say so, Lydia and Sarah. I would say this is pretty representative of the rest of the "bits and pieces".

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...