Saturday, November 21, 2015

Movember

I grew moustaches and beards a couple of times in my twenties and thirties, but I’ve now had a beard continuously since 2001. Yes, I keep it trimmed - often brutally so - but it’s been a part of me for the last quarter of my life.

So it was quite a shock all round when it came off for Movember.

For those of you who may not know, Movember is a global charity aimed at improving men’s health by funding programs in areas such as prostate and testicular cancer.

My group at work has registered an official Movember team - the Service BC Sidekicks. Check out our team’s fundraising progress here: http://moteam.co/service-bc-sidekicks

Meanwhile, here is a quick view of my facial progress:

At the start of November - who said Halloween was over?
 One week in:
And today. Yeah, I know I look drunk. I'm not, but maybe the camera is trying to tell me something:

Normal service will be resumed in December.

12 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Ian .. it's a bit daunting ... this should have happened for Halloween - not Thanksgiving! I know the UK and Canada 'do' neither ... but ... well done for entering Movember ... fun photos to see ... cheers Hilary

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I might be able to grow a moustache in a month. Maybe!

Anonymous said...

I have to admit I'm not a fan of facial hair. I'd be willing to sponsor someone in November for NOT growing any.

Jean Davis said...

I'd wish you happy facial hair growing, but that sounds weird. I'm all for neatly trimmed beards though. Sounds like a great cause.

Denise Covey said...

Good on you for doing this for charity! Beards are all the go again!

Botanist said...

Hilary, Canada does do Thanksgiving - in a big way - but it happens in October here not November and without the overblown hype :)

Alex, I guess I take after my Dad - apparently he used to be able to grow a beard in a matter of days, although I've never known him without.

Delores, my wife is so used to it she doesn't like to see me clean-shaven now.

Jean, neatly-trimmed beard will be back next month.

Denise, I don't know what's in or out of fashion, over here I see all styles all the time.

Unknown said...

Good luck on your fundraising! The beard looks great.

Botanist said...

Thanks Diane! :)

Valerie said...

You should keep it going!!! Grow a stache of epic proportions!!! I would if I could... Then I'd become a carnie...

Hugs!

Valerie

Botanist said...

LOL! Valerie - too late, the excess has been trimmed back and the beard is filling the gap once more. I've decided I don't like shaving my chin.

dolorah said...

Huh, didn't know you had facial hair. This is a worthy cause to regrow it for.

Botanist said...

Donna, it is there in my profile photo, just not very obvious because it's so short...and grey :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...