Friday, April 7, 2017

March madness

Now that April is here, life seems to have calmed down a bit.

Which is just as well.

When I last posted, I was looking forward to a bit of normality after an exceptionally intense few weeks at work. Better still, I booked a couple of days’ vacation in the middle of Spring Break to enjoy a long weekend of relaxation.

Things were going to plan until Sunday night, when Megan woke us in the middle of the night complaining of stomach pains. We went through the usual “what did you eat/what have you been doing” rigmarole for a couple of hours, but eventually concluded this wasn’t something simple that would sort itself out with a bit of rest.

Off to Emergency, and after a stressful day of tests she was in that night to have her appendix out. She was released from hospital the next day, and in the post-stress relief I promptly went down with a cold that knocked me out all through part of the week and all through the following weekend  :(

Back to work this week and things are more on an even keel. I’m feeling better and Megan is doing well.

Meanwhile, my novel is cranking slowly through the critiquing process which means I’m able to slow down on the writing front for a bit. Right now, instead I’m getting ready to give another talk at my local library. I’ve done talks like this a couple of times in the past. It takes a lot of preparation but it’s always been a worthwhile and enjoyable experience. This time I’m talking on Writer’s Block, based around a short series of blog posts I wrote this time last year.

Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Ian - we never know when something out of the ordinary is going to jump out and give us a reminder life doesn't always go smoothly. Glad you're both getting back to normal .. and well done on preparing for the Library talk ... good luck!

Cheers Hilary

http://positiveletters.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/g-is-for-goose-gobbling-or-otherwise.html

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sucks when a week of relaxation is shot like that, but then, fortunate it was planned so you could take care of yourself and your daughter. Glad she's on the mend.

stephen Hayes said...

Glad to hear Megan is doing well. Give her my best.

Botanist said...

Hilary, life has this habit of throwing things at us. Sometimes I wonder what "normal" is :)

Alex, I did end up taking extra time off. It's just fortunate that there wasn't too much pressing at work right now.

Stephen, thanks for your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...